Thursday 7 March 2013

To celebrate World Book Day - Competition Time!

It is World Book Day and schools everywhere are having fantastic visiting authors and children are wearing a wonderful array of costumes of characters from their favourite books.

I visited Wickham Common Primary School yesterday and read in their morning Assembly for their book week.  The children were wonderful.  They listened well and got involved with the story, Larry the Liger - The New Friend, by pulling lots of sad, scared and ferocious liger faces throughout the story.  They asked some great questions and there would have been more but we ran out of time.  I had a great day and loved seeing the children wearing their Larry the Liger rosettes with pride.  Some arrived at school today with them on too as they were so pleased to have received a gift.

The teachers all got Larry the Liger mugs and I left some print copies of the books for the school's library.  The teachers were very appreciative of the gifts.  It was a fantastic experience and I would happily do it again.

So what is everyone doing for World Book Day today?  I am going to read a good book later and vow to review it.  My eldest daughter had Anthony Browne, author and illustrator, visiting her school today which was great fun for all the children playing the Shape Game.

I have decided to run a competition to mark World Book Day.  Calling all children out there who love Larry the Liger: can you draw me a picture of Larry?  He could be just Larry or you could draw him in a scene from one of the stories - whatever takes your fancy.

If you take a picture of your drawing and email it to my facebook author page www.facebook.com/rachaelphillipsauthor with your name and age, I will make sure every picture is added to the website once it is live. (www.larrytheliger.co.uk coming soon)  I will also post the winning entries on this blog.

All pictures received from children will be added to the site.  There are two categories: age 2 to 6yrs and age 7 to 12yrs.  I will select one very special overall winner who will win a part in one of the next Larry the Liger stories.  Not only that but I will also send some Larry the Liger goodies to the children who have sent the best pictures from each of the two categories.  Closing date is 31st March 2013.

Good luck everyone and get drawing, colouring, painting and most of all have fun!  Happy World Book Day one and all :)
 

No comments:

Post a Comment