Friday 8 March 2013

International Women's Day and Mother's Day

Happy International Women's Day!  Yes, not only is it Mother's Day on Sunday in the UK but today is also a day for recognising women all over the world.  Who is the woman that has inspired you the most?

I've been thinking about all the great women I know and how proud I am to know them.  I realised that there is only one woman who really stands out for me today and that is my Mum.  Since we lost Dad in December she has demonstrated the strength of a truly amazing woman.  Throughout my life she has always been strong and always put others first.  A true inspiration as both a woman and a mother.

My Mum and Dad always supported their children in everything we did and instilled in us a desire to achieve.  They encouraged us to always do our best without pressuring us to perform beyond our capabilities.  I admire them both so much but right now especially my Mum... 

My Mum always has a smile for all of her children and grandchildren.  She is loved by so many people and has been a surrogate mum to many of her children's friends.  Her patience and kindness make her a wonderful Mum and Grandma and if I can be half the Mum she is then I will be very happy.

Some would argue being a woman in this day and age is a lot easier than it was for our mothers and grandmothers.  I agree in a lot of ways especially when you consider the lives many women have led.  My Mum brought up four children without complaint.  She cooked us wonderful meals, looked after us all day, went out to work evenings and weekends when we were small, and still found time to cheer us up if we were sad.  She has always been there for all of us.  She is very organised and that's definitely rubbed off on me!

So here's to great women everywhere and especially to my Mum.  Not only is she an amazing person but she also makes the best stew known to man :)

Happy International Women's Day and Happy Mother's Day for Sunday. 








No comments:

Post a Comment