Friday 2 October 2015

What do you do all day?! A ramble about adapting to change...

So what do I do all day now I have all this free time with both my girls in school?  A question being put to countless numbers of stay at home parents whose youngest has just started school; you can spot us a mile off...

If you, like me, have days when you are in a supermarket alone during office hours but excluding lunch time, take a look around at the customers.  Where I live the demographic is mainly: elderly/retired individuals; mums (and sometimes dads) with baby/ies, toddler/s, both; limping people who are currently signed off as sick; and, finally, the category on which I am focusing, the mournful looking women (and sometimes men) with a wistful, faraway look in their glazed eyes who spend a good five minutes looking at the choice cuts on the 'butcher' counter (now they have time)...

Yes, while we all focus on preparing our children for school we really should be focusing on preparing ourselves!  Amy has adapted remarkably well, as it seems have all the other children.  All parents are quickly discovering that four year olds can exude an air of confidence and arrogance, with rolling eyes thrown in to ensure we are under no illusion that we are their sole care provider...

Gyms are packed to capacity, not with new members but with all the parents who have simply not had the time, and no longer have the excuse not to go.  Countless new, small businesses spring up on Facebook offering a variety of useful services.  Job vacancies stating 'term time only' or 'part time hours' are inundated with applications; HR staff everywhere nod knowingly to one another...

I started writing this blog earlier today and stopped to collect the girls from school.  Ironically, while I was there, a mum asked me, 'So what are you doing with yourself now Amy is at school?'  I answered her and told her about the blog post to avoid any unintentional offence!

In my case I am definitely feeling I have more time and I am adapting to it... slowly.  I am working on things for the charity I volunteer for, Bromley Brighter Beginnings.  I am still gathering material for my latest work in progress, a book relating to pregnancy (if anyone fancies contributing let me know!)  I will work harder to market my other books.  I am aiming to do a spot of decorating now the sticky hands are bigger and more occupied with reading books and doing homework instead of preschooler pursuits like decorating walls with non-washable colouring implements.  The school day provides an opportunity for a coat of paint to dry at least!  I will have exams to invigilate in the future and, who knows, a possible new career to get my teeth into...

So here I am, at my laptop, reflecting on the last eight years since I stopped my career in HR to be a full time mum, having moved to an area where we knew no one and feeling too unsure to entrust anyone else to look after my first born child.  Eight years on and I have self published over 40 books and been busy raising two happy, intelligent girls.  I have built a network of lovely friends and childminders, on hand to help me with childcare or grown up time.  I will never regret the day I gave up my career as I have grown and achieved so much on my journey as a mum, a writer and a volunteer.  And, yes, as a stay-at-home mum with little ones at home I was often asked then too, 'What do you do all day?!'  

While I, and most mums I know, had been craving more 'me' time, now it is here it feels a bit empty and strange.  I am not one to sit around for too long though so I am embracing my latest journey and looking for my next adventure.  I might see some of you there...

This post is dedicated to all the hard-working, stay-at-home parents who are adapting too.  Enjoy the journey, it has only just begun...





 






No comments:

Post a Comment